Today's POP is Max C. Menswear boring? No way… "My head is blurry, but this stuff shines bright," reports our brother from another mother(ship).
Emporio Armani was a brilliant all-round show. Rick Owens was exemplary youthful swagger. Bottega Veneta showed refined suits and jackets that set new standards. And Issey Miyake just seems to live on his own planet (a good thing!).
Here's a Top Five With A Hangover. It might change when I sober up:
1. Raf Swims Against The Tide
The last couple of collections at Raf Simons have centred on killer tailoring. Now everyone is suit-centric while Raf showed knitted printed tank tops with wide collar shirts and mohair roll-necks. Think The Fall (punk Manchester with a touch of Albert Camus). An exciting moment.
2. Beaten up Prada leathers
The colourful leather coats at Prada looked beat-up and a bit Withnail messy, but in fact were the result of painstaking process. Put in the most effort but look like you just don't care…
3. Vuitton and the Chapman Brothers
The Chapman Brothers were commissioned at Louis Vuitton to provide prints for clothing and accessories. Their Garden In Hell print took the whole fashion/art thing to a new level – fauna with fangs!
4. Yohji knitwear
What to say? When he does it like this, Yohji Yamamoto does knitwear better than anyone. I want to shoot this collection, I want to buy this collection.
5. Military masculinity as Jil Sander marches on!
Army greens and Russian reds. She's still a genius with fabrics and colours. When Jil Sander combines this with a military design edge then you've got a collection that will sell from Manhattan to Moscow.
- POP 1109 Weekend 18-19 January 2013
- POP 1150 Sunday 24 February 2013
- POP 501 Monday 31 January 2011
- POP 1104 Monday 14 January 2013
- POP 1252 Thursday 11 July 2013
You’re currently reading “POP 1108 Friday 17 January 2013”, an entry on THEPOP.COM
- 18.01.13 / 7am
- Arena Homme+, Bottega Veneta, emporio armani, Issey Miyake, Jake & Dinos Chapman, Jil Sander, Kim Jones, Louis Vuitton, Max Clark, Max Pearmain, Menswear A/W13, Raf Simons, Rick Owens, The Chapman Brothers, thehommeplus.com, yohji yamamoto