Today’s Pop is Isabelle, who just returned from an enthusiastic ramblas through Barcelona’s Fashion Week.
Barcelona fashion week only lasted 3 days, but it was soo worth going. The Catalan Capitol is not only trying to outdo rival Madrid as the fashion city of Spain (yes, competition is not only reserved for Real Madrid and FC Barcelona), but also securing the ’080 Barcelona Fashion’ platform as the most important platform for Spanish fashion designers wanting to present themselves to an international audience.
The young new talents got a chance to show their collections to an international jury, with the winner walking away with the prize of EUR 20 000. Bernhard Willhelm being one of the jury members was definitely a highlight, as well as international designers Romain Kremer, Yiorgos Eleftheriades and Matthew Ames.
So what did we see, hear and do those 3 days in Barcelona?
– The first thing spotted on the Barcelona catwalk: Irina Lazareanu with a new hair-do. Supposedly no one less than Kaiser Karl cut it only two days before in reference to Mary Quant.
- The boy casting was great – Jonas, Lenz, George and of course sexy Jon – they were all there. And after hanging out one night in town with Jon and his friends, I have to say he really has reached Brad Pitt stardom in his home country.
- Barcelona is ready to show another flag again besides the Catalan, at least according to menswear designer Juan Antonio Ávalos, whose collection was full of references to the “land of the Free” from Native American elements to 80′s sportswear.
- We saw and loved Manuel Bolaño’s beautiful white lace total bodysuits, Andrea Ayala’s surrealism inspired collection with headless models walking down the runway and Jan iú Mé’s nice take on casual, yet sexy menswear. Not to mention this year’s winner of the Cardona Bonache, with their minimalist dresses, shorts and shirts. And according to BFW next summer we’ll see lots of sheerness, men in harem pants, whites and pastels.
- We caught a backstage glimpse at Yiorgos Eleftheriades beautiful spring/summer collection where I especially fell in love with the printed silk overall and the black chiffon dress that the lucky Irina got to keep and wore to the launch party of the new Spanish V Magazine – yes, yes there is a Spanish V out now!
- Yes the parties, V Mag’s and the official 080 Barcelona Fashion party both rocked at the same night (Thursday), and had the likes of Mario Testino pay a visit. The first party was located in a Catalan modernist building, the palauet de gracia xxx, the second one on the roof pool area of hotel ME.
- Best off-catwalk look: Jonathan Moscatelli of TOTEM PR, I just loved him in his Beth Ditto LOVE T-Shirt, snapping away with his orange camera – next season though I’d better see you in limited edition Cicciolina POP T-Shirt ;-
- POP 107/ Wednesday, 23 September 2009
- POP 663 Wednesday 3 August 2011
- POP 108/ Thursday, 24 September 2009
- POP 687 Wednesday 7 September 2011
- POP 701 Wednesday 21 September 2011